Welcome to the Strathblane and Blanefield website history pages.
For some time it had been noticed that there was confusion about the names Strathblane and Blanefield and had anything ever happened here? It was established that Strathblane was the name of the parish and was comprised of three villages - Edenkill, Netherton and Mugdock. Blanefield was the creation of the 19th century when the Blanefield Calico Printworks had been in its heyday employing over 500 men, women and children. The decades of the 1850s, 1860s and the 1870s had been a time of development in the Parish.
In the 1850s the final section of the Glasgow Water Supply, a monument to Victorian Engineering, had been completed in the parish and it is still visible to this day.
The 1860s witnessed the arrival of the Blane Valley Railway linking the parish to the outside world. A Free Church was built in 1867 with the Parish Church being substantially renovated in 1870.
Such was the confidence in the parish that in 1870 the Strathblane Mutual Improvement Society was set up with the Rev. Dr Pearson giving an address on "Historical Notices of the Parish of Strathblane". It was acknowledged even then that the Parish of Strathblane had an interesting past.
The 1890s saw the building of St Kessog's RC church in 1893 aided by the navvies who had come to the Parish to construct the second Water Tunnel. However by 1898 a gloom had been cast over the Parish with the closure of the Calico Printworks and from then on the Parish seemed to go into a decline. The factory site was demolished by 1910 with only the houses remaining. The railway continued as a passenger line until 1951 and freight until 1959. Its life had only been extended because it was part of the route bringing ammunition down from Aberfolyle during the Second World War.
With the completion of the new sewerage works the parish began to expand again in the 1950s,1960s and 1970s as more and more houses were built and many of the traces of the parish's past were removed. The villages of Netherton and Edenkill were swallowed up and the area became known as Strathblane and Blanefield.
Many Thanks to Alison Dryden for the above introduction to local history.
This map, created by the Heritage Society, shows the major historical sites in the area.
The main source of early historical information about the area is John Guthrie Smith's book "The Parish of Strathblane and its Inhabitants from Early Times". This weighty tome was published in 1886 and contains vast amounts of information and is available to refer to in the local library. This ancient map and this 1886 map is taken from Guthrie Smith's book. The chapter on Craigallian estate is available here. And a scanned version of it is available to download here
There have been three books published recently of local historical interest -
the First World War
the Free Church
the Kings Visit
Mills and Bleachfields
The Parish Church
Printworks Explosion and Fire
St. Kessog's Church
Thorn of Cuilt
World War 2
The above information has been kindly donated by the Strathblane Heritage Society. For more information about the Heritage Society, click here.
You can find old pictures of the area in the images section of this website.